Assistant Conductor – Heidelberg Symphony Orchestra 2020
About the Heidelberg Symphony
The HSO is widely recognised as one of Melbourne’s most acclaimed non- professional orchestras, enabling it to attract talented and elite musicians from throughout Melbourne. For over four decades, the HSO has been a valuable community asset by providing a venue for non-professional musicians to play and offering an exceptional series of concerts each year to members of the community.
The Orchestra’s members include university students, instrumental music teachers and professionals of other vocations who wish to play in an orchestra which follows a challenging and exciting programme. Its annual concert series excite, enrich and entertain the community with a wide range of orchestral repertoire from classical ballet and opera works, the most demanding orchestral symphonies, and much loved modern classics.
The Assistant Conductor will understudy the Principal Conductor for the 2020 Subscription Series of the Heidelberg Symphony. The successful candidate will be required to attend rehearsals and will have regular podium time in front of the orchestra. The Children’s Concert’s on Sunday 26 July 2020 (11.30 am – 5pm) will be conducted exclusively by the Assistant Conductor.
• to understudy the Principal Conductor of the Heidelberg Symphony for the 2020 concert season
• assist in rehearsals and possibly concerts
• be available to attend rehearsals on Wednesday evenings 7pm – 10pm during the school term
• be available to attend rehearsals on Friday evenings (4 times per year), 7pm – 10pm, on the week of the concert.
• assisting at concerts, workshops and music camps as required
• possible assistance in rehearsing the associate ensembles within the Heidelberg Orchestras Inc. organisation
• conduct the Children’s Concert(s) on Sunday 26 July 2020 “Peter and the Wolf”.
Key Selection Criteria
• demonstrate high quality conducting skills
• demonstrate a high level of competence as musician – a University standard (diploma level or higher) of proficiency on their principal major study instrument would be an advantage
• previous conducting experience is essential – the resume must state details of past public performance(s) – community or school based performances are acceptable
• ability to relate to adult musicians
• have an enthusiastic and personable character
• be prepared to participate in an audition with current members of the Heidelberg Symphony on the evening of:
Wednesday 15th April 2020.
Audition & Interview
• audition repertoire excerpts:
Copies of the scores can be downloaded by clicking on the links above.
(Note that only the excerpt from 1st movement of Beethoven Symphony No.1 is to be conducted.)
• the candidate will have 20 minutes to conduct the Orchestra during the audition. The candidate is free to use this time in any manner that they choose; however, both orchestral excerpts must be completely played through in their entirety within the audition’s 20 minute time allocation.
• after the audition (taking into account feedback from the playing members of the orchestra), candidates may be requested to attend an additional viva voce interview with the Board of Management.
Key Dates for 2020
Concert 1 – “High Seas”
Saturday March 28th at 8 pm
Guest Artist: David Griffiths | Clarinet
Arnold – Four Scottish Dances
Crussell – Clarinet Concerto No.2 in F minor
Shaw – Clarinet Concerto
Abels – Global Warming
Bernstein – Three Dance Episodes from On the Town
Korngold – Suite from The Sea Hawk
Rehearsals: Wednesday 29/1,5/2,12/2,19/2,26/2,4/3,11/3,18/3,25/3, Friday 27/3 All rehearsals 7 – 10 pm
Concert 2 – “Across The Stars”
Saturday June 27th at 8 pm
Guest Artist: Natsuko Yoshimoto | Violin
Beethoven – Violin Concerto in D
Williams – Music from the Star Wars Saga
Rehearsals: Wednesday 15/4,22/,29/4, 6/5,13/5,20/5,27/5, 3/6,10/6,17/6, 24/6 Friday 26 /6
All rehearsals 7 – 10 pm
Concert 3 – “Five Days Five Nights”
Saturday September 12th at 8pm
Guest Artist – Elizabeth Sellars | Violin & Molly Kadarauch | Cello
Barry – Lions at Play from Born Free
Brahms – Double Concerto for Violin & Cello
Shostakovich – 5 Days-5 Nights: The Liberation of Dresden
Arnold – Little Suite No. 1
Rehearsals: Wednesday 15/7, 22/7, 26th Children’s concert ‘s 11.30 – 5.00 pm. 29/7, 5/8,12/8,19/8, 26/8,2/9, 9/9. Friday 11/9
All rehearsals 7 – 10 pm
Concert 4 – “Nightscapes”
Saturday December 5th at 8pm
Guest Artist: Hoang Pham | Piano
Kabalevsky – Overture to Colas Breugnon
Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto No. 3
Rachmaninoff – Symphonic Dance No 1
Daugherty – Night Owl (Australian Premiere)
Rehearsals: Wednesday 7/10,14/10,21/10, 28/10, 4/11,11/11, 18/11, 25/11 ,2/12/ Friday 4/12 All rehearsals 7 – 10 pm
CONCERT 5 – DECEMBER 13TH SUNDAY MELBOURNE RECITAL CENTRE Wed 9/12, Friday 11/12. 7-10 pm. 13/12
Sound Check MRC 2 pm – Concert 5 pm
Rachmaninoff No. 3.
de Falla – Nights in the Gardens of Spain,
Daugherty – Night Owl
Heidelberg Symphony’s 2020 Brochure – click here.
Conditions of Employment
The Assistant Conductor will receive an annual honorarium to perform their conducting duties. If additional rehearsals outside of these duties are required, such as rehearsing any of the associate ensembles within the Heidelberg Orchestras Inc. organisation, the Assistant Conductor will be paid on a per call basis in addition to their annual honorarium.
At the Board of Management’s discretion, a review will be held at the completion of the 2020 year with relation to continuing into the 2021 season.
A cover letter, curriculum vitae (a list of repertoire conducted in public performance should be included) and the names of 3 referees are a requirement for this application.
If the applicant has any digital video footage of their conducting (in public performance) it will only be accepted as a link to YouTube, a link to a Dropbox folder or other similar cloud based storage. Please note that having such video footage is not a requirement. Please ensure that the web link is accurate when submitting this information. Applications close by Monday March 30th 2020 and should be addressed to:
Heidelberg Orchestras Inc.
Assistant Conductor Review Board
Please note that applications will only be accepted via e-mail.
The resume and covering letter may be sent in the following formats: Microsoft Word or PDF format.